Friday, February 5, 2016

Africa, you ready?

Dear Africa,

It's been a little over a year since I've seen you. And I've missed you so much that I've decided to come back and stay... for an ENTIRE YEAR! Get ready!!!


So what's happening? Nerdy accountant exciting things! I will be joining a team of missionaries at a hospital in Niger. I'm sure there will be several hats that I will wear once I arrive, however my official duties (for now) will be to work with all of the finances and the accounting/finance team at the hospital. I'm grinning from ear to ear at the fact that I will get to combine volunteering, traveling the world, and accounting all in one opportunity - this one!


When are you going? Exact dates still to be determined, but the plan for now is to be in Africa at the end of June 2016 - June 2017!

But, how?! So there was that time I found myself at the missions table at our church ministry fair one Sunday afternoon, picked up the missions pamphlet, saw Niger on the list, and said to myself --- "Totally going there!" Two and a half months later I was on a plane. I was extremely fortunate to be part of the group from our church that went to Niger December 2014/January 2015 which is when I discovered this hospital for the first time. There seems to be this rumor going around that most short-term visitors have a tendency to return...and well, the rest is history.

And more importantly, why are you going?

For starters, I'm really looking forward to how awesome of a professional experience this is going to be. I'm excited to be a part of a multi-lingual team and to learn French! I'm excited to teach others, especially those who have not had the same education opportunities as I've had. I'm excited to use my accounting skills to help this hospital. Gosh, I'm even excited to have to reconcile payroll, and I tremble at the thought of reconciling payroll here (not joking, I seriously dislike anything payroll related). This will no doubt be a HUGE challenge for me and one that I am really looking forward to!

The hospital I will be at is such an important staple of the surrounding community and region for that matter. It serves many. The latest study showed just one doctor for every 50,000 people in Niger (compared to the U.S. that has 123 doctors for every 50,000 people). The survival of this hospital depends on missionaries to come and serve the needs of the hospital and the people. I am told that there is a huge need for accountants and to be able to fill a role that is so vital in the ongoing of operations of this hospital is giving me all the more motivation and excitement to go. I'm really looking forward to joining the team of missionaries there, and words cannot describe how honored I feel to be chosen to fulfill this need for them.

Above everything, expanding the kingdom of God so that others may know the joy of knowing Jesus and the hope of eternal life is what this is really all about. This hospital is a Christian hospital, and when people go there, they can hear the gospel - a story of which still remains unknown to a mass amount of people to this very day. To have the chance to love people and serve others - Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. I consider it such a privilege to get the opportunity to do life with the Nigeriens for a year. I have no doubt I will learn many things from them. Life is not about being comfortable, making money, having a successful career, buying a new car, or even traveling the world (too bad I can't remember this all the time), nor does my ultimate satisfaction lie in any of those things. And as I continue to do life here, I'm left with a hunger that can only be satisfied by one thing and that's Jesus. SO... This is me following where He wants me to be. This is a big leap into the unknown. I have no idea what my future in this journey will hold, but I know who holds it!!


I am incredibly humbled at this opportunity, a little nervous, and a little "is this really happening and am I really doing this?", but most of all I am excited. This will certainly be a journey unlike any other that I've had in life so far and that is totally overwhelmingly exciting. That said, I would love nothing more than to continue to share this journey with all of you! Actual plans are starting to happen now, which is so wild. There will be videos coming as well as additional blog posts, photos, events, fundraisers, and all sorts of fun things for everyone to be involved with. Join me on this journey! I have no doubt it will be full of fun and surprises :-)

More details coming soon! Please feel free to subscribe (in the panel on the top left) and be updated via email as I continue to blog about this journey! I will be sharing much more about Niger, this hospital, and this experience in the weeks/months to follow!

See ya soon Carl (the camel)!!


You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl, instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

All glory to God. I know this is going to be truly an amazing journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment