Thursday, February 18, 2016

Journey to Africa

To my dear friends and family:

In case you missed the initial announcement, I am moving to Africa at the end of this June!

A little over a year ago I visited a very special place - Galmi Hospital. Galmi Hospital, a faith-based not-for-profit hospital located in Niger, Africa, is owned and operated by an international missions organization, SIM, who currently has more than 4,000 missionaries serving in about 70 countries worldwide. The heartbeat of SIM is best described as this: respond to need, proclaim the gospel, and equip the church.


Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world, if not the most poor. A good majority of the country's population lives below the poverty line, which means surviving on less than $1 a day. Niger has a large and growing population, and unfortunately many resources that we would consider ordinary, still remain unavailable to many.

Galmi Hospital plays a critical role in healthcare for the central region of Niger. Many Nigeriens travel very far distances to receive treatment at this hospital, and it is well known throughout the entire country for its service and quality of healthcare treatment to all. The hospital has a dedicated team of local Nigeriens that provide outpatient care to approximately 300 people a day. There is also an inpatient facility with over 180 beds in the medical, surgical, obstetrical, and pediatric wards. The surgical facility has a capacity for just 3 simultaneous surgeries. Galmi Hospital is committed to providing quality, competent healthcare in a spirit of compassion.


The survival of Galmi Hospital is dependent on missionaries (medical and non-medical volunteers) who come from countries all over the world to serve the people of Niger. It takes all kinds to keep this hospital running. Yet, many doctors and nurses at Galmi are continuously asked to perform administrative and financial tasks in addition to their medical duties as the staffing needs are at times a struggle to meet. One of their biggest needs currently is an experienced accountant to work with their accounting and finance team. That's where I come in!

Miraculously, one day of helping them with their accounting in December 2014 has since turned into an opportunity to serve Galmi Hospital as a volunteer for an entire year, starting at the end of June 2016. I am completely blown away by God's timing and plan; that He would use one simple day as a door to lead me to this amazing year-long adventure. I am so excited to help them carry on such a vital function of the hospital's ongoing operations, and I feel incredibly honored that they would ask me to return to fill this role for them!

God continues to be faithful in opening doors along the way to make this journey possible! As is the case with all other current missionaries serving at Galmi, in order to make this experience possible I will need to raise funds to cover the cost of living and room and board for the year, as well as travel costs, which equates to about $25,000. I recognize that fundraising this amount of money will not be the easiest task, but it is a necessary and humbling challenge in this process. I believe this experience will be incredibly rewarding and worth every penny, possibly more. I would be extremely grateful if any of you feel inclined to support me and the mission work of this hospital financially. If you are considering supporting me, donations can be made online here. All donations are tax deductible. Your generosity would mean more to me than words can say!!

More importantly, I would love to ask for you to commit to praying for me, for this journey, and for this hospital. Galmi Hospital is a Christian hospital, and when people go there they can hear the gospel of Jesus Christ, a story of which still remains unknown to a mass amount of people in Africa. My prayer is that I can help sustain the work of this hospital. My prayer is that I can gracefully love and serve others. And above all, my prayer is that through this experience we can expand the kingdom of God.

I am incredibly humbled at this opportunity, and I wait expectantly for God's glory to shine through all of this. This experience will be such a privilege, and I am looking forward to sharing it will all of you!

Africa, here I come!! :-)

We love because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment