Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Kitchen adventures

Hi from across the world!

In light of all the wahala currently happening in America, I thought I'd take this time to try and lighten the mood. Today's entertainment includes bits and pieces of my adventures in the kitchen here, or what I like to call it: wife training. Even half way around the world I know you are all still very much concerned for my future husband. No worries, the jury is still out on this one.

Don't laugh... but this is really the first time in my life that I'm having to do anything in the kitchen that requires any actual skill. And don't mistake that statement as me having acquired said skill yet. I'm still a work in progress. BUT, I have made lots of things from scratch which has been, well, interesting. There was that time that I almost burned off all my arm hair lighting my gas oven, but you'll be happy to know I've since mastered that one! Basically, everything I eat is made from scratch. I'm just impressed I haven't starved yet (don't worry, that was a joke Mom & Dad). My time here has taught me that salt, pepper, and garlic make everything taste better, but don't tell anyone my secret! Actually, the real secret is to find friends that will feed you a few nights a week (joking again....but not really). What I meant to say is that it's important to find friends that you enjoy spending time with and if you happen to share a meal, then that's just an added bonus :-) I've also learned that I am just terrible at rationing food. Sadly, all of my American "food pleasures" are long gone, and I'm embarrassed to say how much I would pay for some Chick-fil-a right now. Two thumbs up for learning how to be self-sufficient here though!


So what do I eat? When all else fails, scrambled eggs. To be honest, sometimes I just take whatever is in my fridge, mix it all together, and hope for the best. Probably not a best practice? ;-) I can make yogurt from scratch using milk powder and water. Impressed? Don't be too impressed. When done incorrectly, it turns into sour cream. I'm all about brownies and apple pie these days. Let's be honest, dessert is the most important meal anyway. I once tried to make chicken curry, and I'll just say that I should never be allowed to make that again. I make a mean spaghetti sauce because I don't have access to Ragu or anything of the sort. I have access to canned tomatoes and then just go to town with the rest. I make vanilla pudding from scratch which is quite tasty. But my overall masterpiece is probably my cinnamon swirl bread. Wonder if I can pass the wife test with these items?

In my spare time, I enjoy finding distant African cousins of American food brands. So far I have enjoyed the following:




I am currently in Niamey (the capital here in Niger), otherwise known as the "land of the plenty." I was practically drooling at the grocery store the other day. I won't admit how many packs of oreos I bought, nor will I say how much I spent on mint chocolate chip ice cream. Hey, it's the little things in life, right? I am almost on my way back to Galmi (home sweet home) where there is no grocery store, no restaurants, and most notably, no Chinese take out! All of that to say, Galmi has its own charm that makes me forget all about oreos and nacho cheese doritos!! Those of you that know me well know then that Galmi has some serious charm for the aforementioned to be true!

Special thanks to my master chef, gourmet expert, spice-family organizing friend here at Galmi for making sure I don't go hungry and for finding creative ways to make everything bagels with cream cheese, soft pretzels, and doughnuts! Perhaps in another 6 months I will get called up to the big leagues and we can play in the same kitchen :-)

On a serious note, God is good, Africa is awesome, and French is becoming second nature!!

Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment